After 1947, post-colonial and independent India witnessed the emergence of a reorganization of higher education in the country, radically different from the colonial perspective and perception, our national leaders adopted a wider perspective on the character of higher education in free India: "to provide a coherent picture of Universe and integrated way of life". The Radhakrishnan Commission (1948) laid down aims and objectives of Higher Education: i) transmission of intellectual and ethical knowledge of humanity to the young: ii) enrichment of this heritage. iii) extension of the boundaries of knowledge; and iv) promotion of social values and virtues.
It is pertinent to note that one position of our institution is more than 100 years, in fact 111 years, to be accurate.
Fragmented historical records show that Mohandra Lal Sarcar, the one of greatest scientist of pre independence era, during his last four years of his life (i.e. from 1901 till his death in 1904), he emphasized in a series of public lectures on the establishment of Colleges for pursuit of science.
His endeavor , as a pioneer of popular science, had a reflection in erection of a room as an extension of the then Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution (School - Main) which was established in 1874 in Howrah district , dedicated for cultivation of science in 1909. [ Source : Chittabrata Palit : " Mahendralal Sircar and the National Science movement " (Kolkata, 2009; pp 35-38).
The Tablet of his donation is still inscribed on the wall of this heritage room ( now room no. 17 of the College ) [CD already attached]. Subsequently the room/hall was named after him.
Subsequently, with the initiative of Prof. Bijoy Krishna Bhattacharya , a well known freedom fighter, Satyagrahi, and the President of the Managing Committee of Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution (School), proposed in a Managing Committee meeting in 1947 that Intermediate Classes may be started in this extended room (which was erected in 1903) of the school building under the newly founded College of the same name which was adjacent of the School.
Since, then, the College has moved forward; it had a chequered history of growth and expansion.
That room, built in 1903 and having old architectural design, is now still functioning as one of Physics Lab. of the College and teachers' room of the physics department. (CD already attached);
On it we have now the principal's room and classrooms.
If we situate the foundation of our college within this perspective and attainment of such a dream, we can only then understand the driving force, Zeal endeavour of our founder, Prof. Bijoy Krishna Bhattacharya. A well known freedom fighter, Satyagrahi, Prof. Bhattacharya's dream became a reality when on August 16.1948, the college with the help of Late Kiran Chandra Sinha, Late Bholanath Mukherjee, a renowned physician and an educationist of Howrah district. On the 1st of December 1947 Prof. Bijoy Krishna Bhattacharya, president of the Managing Committee of Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution, proposed in a Managing Committee meeting that Intermediate Classes may be started in the school building. The Secretary of the school applied to the University on 23rd December 1947 seeking affiliation of Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution up to the Intermidiate standard in Arts and Science Streams. A Governing body was constituted consisting of Shri Poolin Behari Halder, as secretary. Three representatives of the school Managing Committee viz, its ex-officio President, Secretary and Headmaster were appointed as members of the Governing Body in recognition of the initiative taken by the Managing Committee to establish the college and the financial help granted by the school to the committee.
With 214 students in the Intermediate course, 18 lecturers and 3 demonstrators, the College began its journey with a motto, "Charaiveti", (March Forward) to meet in a modest way the increasing demand for every type of higher education and to impart a synoptic vision of the different streams of knowledge. The mission at the time of foundation was to extended opportunities for higher general education among the middle class population of Shibpur in South Howrah (roughly 15 Municipal Wards of the Howrah Municipal Corporation at present). The major portion of its area is traditionally, inhabited by middle class Bengalies; but some parts of this region has a cosmopolitan demographic character on account of the location of the S.E. Railway colony, the jute mills and adjacent slums etc. However, the initial demand for higher education came from the Bengali speaking community for various socio-economic reasons; and it was not possible for all local students to go to Calcutta for higher education. From the economic data available in different census reports, it has also been found that this region has a middle and low income profile.
Given the above background, and consistent with the general trend in West Bengal, enrolment in the college gradually increased during 1950s. Science subjects were introduced in 1958. During the decade between 1948 and 1958, 1209 students graduated from this college. A tremendous growth in demand for higher education among the local population was observed during 1960s and 1970s on account of which college flourished in subject options, enrollment, faculty and a zeal for imparting quality higher education as comprehended by the idealists in both management and faculty of the college. It is also during this period that demand for higher education was also being revealed among other linguistic group of the local population; participation of girl students in this local process of demand-oriented expansion was also noteworthy. It is for this reason that in 1976 degree courses in B.A. pass in Day Section was made co-educational and the Morning Section of the college was opened exclusively for the girls in the Higher Secondary Classes. In 1977, B.Com pass was introduced.
Since then college has moved forward; it had a chequered history of growth and expansion. In 1960s, the college was permitted to open Honours course in English, Bengali, History and Commerce. Subsequently, the college opened Honours courses in Pure Science subjects.
Consistent with the tradition of the college, its goal is to foster opportunities for higher education in select branches of study for the benefit of the local community and to create a modern ambience for a learner-centric educational environment.