Shibpur Dinobundhoo Institution (College) is one of the pioneer colleges embracing a vast
hinterland of urban and semi-urban areas of Howrah District. Established in 1948, the college has
consolidated its position as one of the leading institutions of the district, imparting
undergraduate learning in diverse areas of Humanities, Social Sciences, Bio and Pure Sciences and
Commerce. The College is affiliated to the University of Calcutta and accredited by NAAC (National
Assessment and Accreditation Council). From the academic session 2009-2010, the college is proud to
have introduced Post Graduate Course in Commerce (M.Com) offered by the University of Calcutta.
Location: The College is situated in the Southern Part of Howrah Municipal Corporation Area on
the west bank of the river Hooghly, very close to Vidyasagar Setu and on a major arterial road in
the city, viz.., the Grand Trunk Road. It is therefore, well connected to all other parts of Howrah
City, the district and the Kolkata metropolis. On one side of the G.T. Road, we have an industrial
belt; hence, having a large concentration of working class population, on the other side, we have a
middle class settlement. A large railway colony exists close to the college campus because of the
S.E. Railway Freight and Passenger Terminal at Shalimar. The overall demographic characteristics and
cultural diversity of the locality have been reflected in the composition of the student community
of our college, we proudly maintain this tradition.
- The college offers Degree Courses (General and Honours) in Arts, Science, Commerce streams as
detailed in the 'Programme Options' under COURSES OF STUDY in pages.
- The college runs in three shifts under a single management.
- Morning section is meant exclusively for girls and offers only General courses.
- Day section is co-educational and offers both Honours and General Courses in Arts, Science and
- Evening section is for boys and offers only Commerce (Honours & General).
- The college offers self-financing job-oriented courses like B.Sc. Hons. In Computer Science.
- Only college in Howrah to offer self-financing M.Com course affiliated to the University of
- The college is housed in a spacious building having bright and airy classrooms.
- Learned faculty with 96 whole-time and part-time teachers.
- Cooperative non-teaching staff numbering 45 members.
- College canteen management by a Women's Self-Help Group.
In accordance with the NAAC guidelines, the college has established the IQAC (Internal Quality
Assurance Cell). The IQAC Sub-committee of the college has been working in close collaboration to
develop the existing infrastructural facilities and cater to the needs of the student community by
initiating quality enhancement measures in all sectors of the institution. Their concerted effort is
to bring together the two : material resources and human capabilities.
Facilities available to the students:
- Well-equipped laboratories regularly upgraded with UGC funds to facilitate practical classes.
- Spacious Reading Room with a Journal section in the Central Library.
- The Central Library holds a large collection of books covering a wide range of subjects.
- Photocopying and NET browsing (strictly for academic purpose) facilities available in the
- Water purifiers cum coolers on each floor.
- Indoor games; Volleyball
- Audio sound system in two large classrooms.
- One digital classroom to aid audio-visual learning.
- Remedial Coaching for economically backward SC/ST/OBC/Minority students.
- Canteen serving tea, coffee and snacks.
- Career Counseling Cell to provide guidance, information and awareness.
- Grievance Redressal Cell for lodging complaints and harassment.
- Extension Activities: NCC, NSS, St.John's Ambulance.
Recent Upgrade of infrastructural resource:
- Almost all the departments have been provided with laptops, desktops and printers.
- LIBSYS software, Bar Code scanner, digital camera for library.
- Digital camera for documentation of college events.
- LCD projectors for Arts, Science and Commerce sections (teaching aid for lecture
- DSLR camera with microscope for Dept. of Botany.
- Telescope for Dept. of Zoology.
- LED TV with DVD player for Dept. of English.
- One Digital Classroom.
- Audio sound system in two large classrooms.
Quality Initiatives and infrastructural developments proposed during the academic session
- Introduction of short-term courses.
- Introduction of Value Education classes.
- Introduction of student Mentoring programme.
- Renewal of Remedial coaching for economically backward SC/ST/OBC/Minority students.
- Inter departmental collaborative programmes.
- Reformation of teaching and internal evaluation process.
- Gender sensitization programmes.
- Enhance student initiative in community development, social action based on science/
environment/gender, and literary programmes.
- Production of teaching modules.
- Organization of seminars, workshops and conference (inter and intra institutional).
- Development and application of quality benchmarks for the various academic and administrative
activation of the institution.
- Renewal and activation of the Alumni Association.
- Arrangement for feedback reponses from students, parents and other stake holders.
- Establishment of a Language Lab.
- Renovation and repair of Botany & Zoology departments and classrooms.
- Renovation of Office and Staff room (air-conditioning).
- White washing and painting of college premises.
- Enhancing student and staff initiatives in cleanliness and beautification of college premises.